Since 1978, Can-Traffic Services has been a leader in traffic signal design and installation. Our team includes engineers, electricians, tradesmen, and technicians dedicated to keeping traffic flowing and safely guide your family home. With 45+ years of technical expertise and experience to draw upon, our field teams deliver a first rate, safety conscious, and efficient service.
At Can-Traffic, our adept, professional crews, and field teams are expected to respond to all types of traffic dynamics at all hours of the day. From Emergency Response to street light maintenance. Our team of dedicated individuals work together to achieve where others cannot. Their ambition, combined with a strong support network of people and resources from Can-Traffic Corporate is why they succeed. Their commitment to quality is what gives Can-Traffic the strong and recognized reputation it enjoys.
Can-Traffic is currently looking for a permanent, full-time Traffic Signals Electrician to work full-time on a 7 on and 7 off schedule out of our Sherwood Park, Alberta location for work in town. The successful candidate will have knowledge and hands on experience working with traffic signals, cabinets and street lighting. The Traffic Signals Electrician will complete a wide range of maintenance services, including installs, maintenance, and repairs of motors, transformers, generators, lights, appliances, circuits, wiring, and other electrical system equipment and components in compliance with electrical codes, standards, and regulations.
- Participates in the inspection of new traffic signal installations and repairs for compliance with construction plans, specifications, and electrical codes.
- Installation, maintenance and repair of all traffic signal systems and subsystems, pedestrian crossovers, streetlighting, flashing beacons and other traffic electrical devices, in accordance with the Alberta Control Traffic Manuals, Highway Traffic Act and the Municipal Act.
- Implementation and monitoring of traffic signal timing plans.
- Perform routine diagnostics of signal malfunctions utilizing traffic signal control systems.
- Installation, maintenance and repair of overhead traffic signage, lighting and banners.
- Completion of daily work orders, activity cards and traffic control plans.
- Maintenance of accurate records, including material inventory and diaries of daily activities.
- Scheduling and responding to utility locates with private and public sector agencies.
- Liaison with Department staff, other City Departments, public sector agencies, contractors and City residents, regarding signal installation, maintenance and operational concerns.
- Maintain vehicles and equipment in a clean, tidy condition, make regular inspections, report deficiencies, etc. in a prescribed manner. Assists in designing and implementing maintenance procedures.
- Ensure that all work meets the latest electrical codes and standards
- Complete projects from start to finish with high workmanship standards and efficiency
- Ensure quality, compliance, and safety of company’s assets
Skills and Abilities
- Strong time management and organizational skills with an ability to be adaptable, manage multiple priorities and work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to facilitate conflict resolution internally and externally
- Ability to identify opportunities and potential risks when making repair and maintenance decisions
- Excellent analysis, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Knowledge of OH&S Acts and Legislation
- Knowledge of roadway electrical operations
- Knowledge of machinery, equipment, and tools necessary for the installation, maintenance, and repair of roadway lighting
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to perform physical labour as part of the job duties and stand/walk for extended periods
- Valid Journeyman Electrician certificate with a minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Experience in municipal traffic signal operations is an asset
- Valid Alberta Class 5 (non GDL) driver’s license and submission of a 3-year Driver’s Abstract with less than 7 demerits
- Fall Protection, Standard First Aid, Aerial Work Platform are assets
- International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA CPS) Signal certification is an asset
- IMSA CPS Work Zone Certification
- IMSA CPS Traffic Signal Technician Level I
- IMSA CPS Traffic Signal Technician Level II